Pacuare River 2 Day Expedition (San Jose-Puerto Viejo-Arenal Adventure Connection)
- Duration: 2 Days (approx.)
- Location: Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Talamanca
This overnight Pacuare Adventure is a Paddle and Hike expedition. Not only will you raft a variety of exciting rapids, but you will also hike to pristine waterfalls, fun swimming holes and primary jungles.
Please note that different companies run the same stretch of river for one, two and three day trips. In order to give you better value for both your time and money, we use an upper “put in” for our overnight trips, giving you an extra 6.5 kilometers (4 extra miles) upstream. This makes your first day on the river 100% longer, in addition to running twice as many rapids.
The first day you will run 13kms (8 miles) of continuous class III whitewater for a total of 14 rapids. Then you will arrive at Pacuare Tent Camp shortly past noon, on time for lunch. Afternoon activities include various optional hikes, fishing in the river, or relaxing in a hammock. This package includes at least one hike a day, based on your athletic and adventure desires.
Pacuare Tent Camp has a deep sense of the wilderness. Located right next to the river in the middle of a primary forest it offers you safari style facilities, with large comfortable walk-in tents permanently set on spacious wooden platforms. Gardens are very well taken care of, perfectly blending with their surroundings. Modern toilets and showers are also available for your use
The main building provides perfect “hanging out” space and an excellent view of the river. Here you will have our late afternoon Happy hour and Dinner. The kitchen is well stocked with china, wine glasses and all of the necessary utensils to provide you with a great dining experience.
The second day begins with a hot, freshly brewed cup of Costa Rica’s famous coffee. After a hearty breakfast is served and we pack our gear, your river descent continues.
All of the class IV rapids are on this day, so now it is time to truely test the skills you learned on the previous day. The second day is significantly longer on the river, with 23kms (14 miles) to travel and about 30 rapids. Two stops are made, one for a nice exploratory hike and another one to have lunch on the river.
We finish in Siquirres, at our own private Exploration Center, where you can take a shower, change and enjoy the gardens and terrace while having a beer or two and reflecting with your new friends about the great adventure you just shared.
- Price Includes: Guides, equipment, safety kayaker, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunch, 1 dinner, happy hour, camping in modern dome tents, plus transportation to and from the Southern Caribbean coast, Arenal Volcano area and San Jose
- Please bring: Swim suit, river sandals or trainers, sunscreen, water, waterproof camera, towel, dry change of clothing, cash for souvenirs, snacks and drinks and overnight bag
- Minimum age: 12 years old
- Time: Leaves at 6:30 am day one. Arrive at 6:30 pm day 2 at chosen destination.
- Tour Itinerary
- 6:00am Pick ups in San Jose, Arenal Volcano area and the Southern Caribbean.
- 6:30am In route San José, Southern Caribbean Coast and Arenal Volcano Area - Exploration Center (Siquirres)
- 8:00am Breakfast at the "Exploration Center".
- 8:45am In route Exploration Center - River
- (Put In at Finca La Cruz, upper part of the River.)
- 10:00am Preparation for the Descent (Safety orientation, paddle practice)
- 10:45am River Descent (including a hike)
- 1:45pm Arrival at our "Pacuare Tent Camp" with time to shower, change clothes, enjoy a delicious lunch.
- 3:30pm Team work, team building dynamics, educational experience, hikes or free time at the hammocks.
- 7:30pm Dinner
- Second day
- 7:30am Breakfast
- 9:30am River Descent (including lunch and a hike)
- 2:30pm Arrival a tour Exploration Center with time to shower, change clothes, enjoy a beverage and reflect on the adventure just shared.
- 3:30pm - 5:30pm In route from the "Exploration Center" to San José, Southern Coast Caribbean and Arenal Volcano Area